Pages

Popular Posts

Search This Blog

Monday 11 February 2013

Grundisburgh Pillboxes

Thanks to information provided Paul Garwood I visited two pillboxes at Grundisburgh today, both as far as I am aware have not been officially recoreded on either the Defence of Britain data base or the Suffolk HER. I do get some very useful information provided by email through my main website, which is one of the reasons I enjoy mainainting it.
They are both Type 23's (i.e. with an infantry chamber and open LAA chamber) and I must admit at the moment I don't quite know their purpose! They are not on a Stopline. Grundisburgh was not a Nodal Point.  There was no Searchlight site in the area. Perhaps the answer is lurking on my hard drive somewhere, or if someone knows please leave a comment! Both pillboxes are in reasonable condition, with damage restricted to the embrasures in the open AA well. The walls are about 2 ft thick and have brick shuttering.



Above: Aerials showing location of pillboxes







First of the pillboxes. Bottom image shows the remains of the mount for a light machine gun for use in an AA role.




The second pillbox. The other pillbox is lurking in the hedge in the backgrounf of the bottom image.

Exercise Kruschen finally written up and now posted on website.

No comments:

Post a Comment